This page covers beach wedding attire tips for guests.
Have you just opened up an invitation to learn that you’ve been invited to a beach ceremony? While this may be exciting, it may also leave you scratching your head wondering what to wear to a beach wedding?
There are a few ground rules you should follow in order to look great, remain comfortable, yet formal enough for this non-traditional wedding. After you read these tips, check out this gallery of gorgeous dresses that are perfect for anyone attending a beach wedding.
Beach Wedding Attire Tips: Best Fabrics
Light fabrics that do not cling to the body are best. Materials like linen, chiffon, organza, and even cotton blends or lace are light but can still look luxurious. There is nothing worse than sweat marks on the back and front of a gown.
Guys, you should consider wearing linen pants and a linen button down shirt. If you want to wear a suit, wear something lightweight like cotton or a linen suit that is loose fitting and comfortable while still remaining semi-formal.
Beach Wedding Attire Tips: Ideal Colors
Black attire looks completely chic, but it conducts heat so if you are attending a ceremony in a tropical environment; you may find yourself completely cooked!
- Why not embrace the sights and sounds of the surf and turf around you? Mimic these delicious, tropical tones with your attire.
- Colors like aquamarine blue, turquoise, sand, terra cotta, fuchsia, lime green, tangerine, and even sunflower are all unique but appropriate tones. You may also wish to wear a pattern or print in these bright hues. Polka dots, stripes, and bold floral prints are all great options.
- If the ceremony or reception is taking place during the evening bring a light weight, sheer shawl to wrap around yourself in case some cool air moves in from the coast.
- A bright colored linen shirt or jacket paired with white or beige pants will look great and keep you looking and feeling cool.
- A tan or cream colored linen suit is also appropriate attire for this semi-formal affair.
Beach Wedding Attire Tips: Formality
If it’s a formal ceremony, wear a long, elegant gown. Semi-formal calls for short or tea length dresses, which are great because they won’t drag in the sand, plus they transition beautifully to a reception venue held at a restaurant or ocean front hotel.
- Maxi dresses are perfect for a casual celebration. A maxi dress is loose fitting, especially around the bottom of the dress and can easily sweep across the sand and be brushed clean on land for a sea side reception.
- Forego the tie! They are not needed since the venue is non-traditional and can make you feel restricted and overheated in very warm and tropical weather.
- You can wear a traditional suit and tie if the ceremony and reception are being held near the beach in a resort or on a yacht.
- Consider a light colored button down shirt with short or three quarter length sleeves.
Wear shoes that you can easily slip on and off. Flip flops or sandals are a great option as long as they’re on the nicer/dressier side.
Beach Wedding Attire Tips – Do’s & Dont’s
- Please guys, no shorts ever! It’s not appropriate unless it explicitly says so on the invitation.
- Ladies & Gents – it should go without say but I’ll say it anyway just in case it slips your mind…if you’re wearing open toe shoes, please get a pedi.
- Gals, make sure that you don’t wear a dress that is too short & loose/flared or you might end up inadvertently flashing everyone with just the slightest wind gust.
Don’t forget to see this collection of women’s dresses that are great for a beach wedding for ideas.
Click on one of the image above to see dress details without leaving this page.
I hope these tips on what to wear to a beach wedding were helpful. Just consider the sights, sounds, and temperatures that will surround you on the beach (or next to it) in order to select appropriate beach wedding attire that will not only make you look great, but feel great too.
Do you have more tips or questions about guest beach wedding attire? I’d love to hear from you in the comment box below.
Don’t forget to check out my post with 5 tips for men’s beach wedding attire.
Featured:17 Welcome Bags & Favors Your Guests Will LOVE (and ones they won’t)!
Welcome bags and favors are a great way to show your love and appreciation to your family/friends who are attending your destination wedding. To get some ideas of the best favors and welcome bags, we polled hundreds of destination brides who already got married. They shared their thoughts on the type of welcome bag items and favors their guests loved, as well as the misses.
Do You Have a Destination Wedding Planning Question?
We have answers! Check out 11 frequently asked questions plus ask any question on your mind and we’ll answer you personally.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Debonair Vineyard Garden Wedding Inspiration in Verona Italy - October 11, 2017
- A Gorgeous White Orchid Beach House Wedding in Maui - October 10, 2017
- Cliffside Beach Wedding in Hawaii - October 6, 2017