Packing for your destination wedding? Then you’ve probably discovered that between the dress, favors, welcome bag items, honeymoon clothes, and decorations it looks like you’re relocating out of the country instead of going off to tie the knot.
Not properly done, packing for your destination wedding can turn into a nightmare of not enough space, excess baggage fees, lost luggage and run-ins with customs officers. Here are some tips to make sure your journey to “I do” starts off without a hitch.
15 Tips on Packing For Your Destination Wedding
- Start a checklist of everything that needs to be packed a few weeks before, add to it every time you think of something, and double check it the night before you leave. The days before the wedding you’ll be so overwhelmed with last minute details that it will be very easy to forget something important back home. Get our complete destination wedding packing checklist.
- Don’t check-in your wedding gown, veil, shoes, groom’s attire or anything else that you’ll need on your wedding day. Carry it on so that if your luggage gets lost at least you’ll have your marriage attire.
- Ask your dress retailer for tips on packing your gown. They will usually give you a garment bag which you can store in the airplane’s overhead compartment. Otherwise fold it up nicely in a small carry-on suitcase. Ask your resort if they can press it to smooth out any wrinkles it encounters along the way. More Tips For Traveling With Your Wedding Dress
- Don’t ship anything important to your destination – there have been many horror stories where welcome bag items, decorations or favors get held up in customs or lost in transit and never make it in time for the wedding day.
- Put your clothes in vacuum seal storage bags to free up more room in your luggage.
- Visit your destination’s custom site to find out which items can be included in your personal luggage exempt from duty. They might tell you that your items cannot exceed a certain dollar value. Armed with this info you can divide favors and welcome bags among family and friends so that no one person’s luggage exceeds that value.
- If you’re traveling with favors or items that can break, use your clothes or towels to wrap them up and stuff them in the center of your suitcase so that they’re padded on the top and bottom.
- When you’re packing for your destination wedding make sure you take all receipts for your favors, welcome bag items, and decorations. The customs officer at your destination might request them if he suspects that the value of your items exceeds their limit and you’re going to sell those items.
- Put your socks and underwear inside your shoes to make extra room.
- Roll up your clothes instead of folding and put them in every nook and cranny of your luggage – maximize your space and make use of every inch.
- Once your luggage seems full, zip it up and sit or stand on it (make sure there are no liquids or items that can break). This will make just a little more room to add some more clothes.
- Put all liquids (i.e. shampoo, gels) inside zip lock bags and place them on top so that if they burst open in transit they won’t dirty all your clothes.
- You won’t need as much luggage on your way back home so avoid paying excess luggage fees by packing your decorations and favors in an old suitcase that you can leave behind at your destination.
- Your hotel room might have a blow dryer, alarm or/and iron. Call them ahead of time so that you don’t have to pack bulky items unnecessarily.
- Bags are inspected so use a TSA approved lock.
Do you have any more destination wedding travel tips or ideas you used when packing for your destination wedding? Or do you have questions about the tips on this post? Let me know in the comment box below!
Featured:Contest for The Best Destination Wedding of 2017
Do you think that you (or someone you know) had the best destination wedding of 2017? Show off your photos and tell your story for a chance to win one of 13 AMAZING prizes, including $3,000 cash or a romantic getaway to over-water bungalows.
Plus your photos will be featured on our blog and social media for the world to see!
Do You Have a Destination Wedding Planning Question?
We have answers! Check out 11 frequently asked questions plus ask any question on your mind and we’ll answer you personally.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- 16 Breathtaking Destination Wedding Ceremony Decorations - December 15, 2017
- The Next Generation Destination Wedding Travel Company - December 6, 2017
- Did You Have one of the Best Destination Weddings of 2017? - December 6, 2017